Police say drunk motorist struck girl, then fled

By TERRY CORCORAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: April 13, 2004)

KENT — A Kent man is due in Town Court next month to answer charges that he struck a 13-year-old girl with his truck while driving drunk, then drove away, police said.

John Pavelka, 35, of Clarkson Road is charged with leaving the scene of an accident, driving while intoxicated and third-degree assault, all misdemeanors, and failing to stay in the travel lane, an infraction.

Officers Vincent Bade and Joseph Peters went to the area of Route 52 near Route 311 around 8 p.m. Wednesday on a report that a girl had been struck by a pickup truck while she was walking along Route 52. The girl told police that the truck never stopped after hitting her.

Sgt. Carlton Champagne assisted in the investigation.

Around 9 p.m., police arrested Pavelka at his home and impounded his pickup truck.

The girl, a Lake Carmel resident, was taken to Putnam Hospital Center in Carmel, where she was treated for scrapes and cuts.

Pavelka was arraigned before Town Justice Peter Collins and ordered back to court on May 3.

Meanwhile, on Thursday afternoon, police charged another Kent man with felony driving while intoxicated.

The man ignored an order to stop from a flagman at the new town center construction site on Route 52, police said.

Detective Gerald Locascio saw William Gullander, 42, ignore the flagman, who was with a crew installing a traffic light, police said.

Locascio radioed ahead to Officer Raymond Beauchesne, who stopped the driver and arrested him.

Town police had charged Gullander in August 1996 with driving while intoxicated.

He is due in Town Court today.

 

 



Top
Home
Complaints
Back

Copyright © 2005 a Citizen Run Web Site
Wednesday, January 5, 2005
000140