Kent Teenager critically hurt as car hits pole

The Journal News

Terry Corcoran

A Kent teen-ager was on life support yesterday at a Connecticut hospital, where he was taken after his car hit a utility pole Monday night on Fair Street in Patterson. Patrick W. Fish, 18, of 15 Valhalla Road, Lake Carmel, was listed in critical condition yesterday at Yale-New Haven Hospital with a head injury and several broken bones He was transported there from Danbury Hospital, where Patterson ambulance volunteers took him Monday after the 9:15 p.m. accident

Patterson Fire Chief Adam Stiebling said emergency workers initially requested a helicopter to airlift Fish to the Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla but were forced to drive turn to Danbury when weather conditions kept the helicopter grounded.

Fish who lives less than a mile from the accident site, was traveling alone in a northeast direction when his 1998 Dodge Neon went off the right side of the road and struck a utlity pole near Commerce Drive. An investigation by the Sheriff's Office showed that the car was airborne when it hit the pole. The driver's door was the point of impact.

When deputies and Patterson Fire and Rescue volunteers arrived Fish was trapped in the vehicle, unconscious and bleeding from the head. Firefighters used a hydraulic tool to cut the car roof And free Fish. It took about 20 minutes to get him out, Stiebeling said.

Sheriff's deputies were unable to find Fish's identification, which his father, Will Fish, said was in the car's sun visor, so they contacted his family by tracing the car back to Valhalla Road. Once Fish was stabilized at Danbury Hospital doctors decided to transport him to Yale-New Haven.

William Fish stopped by the accident scene yesterday afternoon to try to understand how it happened. There were no skid marks to indicate that Patrick Fish tried to brake before hitting the pole. The car drove beneath a guy wire before hitting the pole

William Fish described his son as a "good kid" who earned his GED from the Board of Cooperative Educational Services last year in maintenance.

William Fish then left around 3:30 p.m. to visit his son at Yale-New Haven.,

Fair Street was closed between Commerce Drive and Route 311 for about three hours Monday night during the accident investigation. Workers from New York State Gas and Electric and Verizon replaced the utility pole, which was split by the impact.


Copyright © 2005 a Citizen Run Web Site
Wednesday, January 5, 2005