Hello - Below is part of a discussion posted by Jeff Green re the Patterson Crossing....

" Build an office park of low slung, architecturally
designed buildings, provide quality white collar jobs, affordable housing
for the working class, build a community that becomes an integral part of
the existing community and you'll see the opposition fade away rather quickly.
If it's cheap labor you need and acres of asphalt, I am sure your town can
find more appropriate locations closer to your population centers in which
to build.

Oh, would this be true (I know he's right about this), but my question is: if corporate development is what the town wants and needs, what can do we do to encourage this? And, if as Mr. Green states in another section of his response, a sales-tax based revenue system is dependent upon the economy, why are developers not racing to our midst to offer up office park designs as incentives for land development in our area? Could that be because it's not a good business idea in this current economy?

I'm not trying to get into a discussion of whether that's good or bad, it's just the reality and unless we become extremely imaginative and innovative in our thinking, then projects like the Patterson Crossing will become in many people's minds the only answers that make sense, unless you want to stop development altogether, which to my mind is revisionist and elitist thinking.

So, if the Patterson Crossing is not a viable option, and corporate business development is not happening, then what is the plan for increasing revenue, or (gasp!) cutting expenses in order to preserve the essence of this community without leaving it to only those who can afford it (like Westchester County from which I am a refugee), who will continue to drive to other places to shop and dine. While I don't personally need or want a project like the Patterson Crossing, I would like other shopping/recreation options in my community, and mostly I would love some tax relief. Surely there's some room for compromise or imaginative thinking among our elected officials for planned development.

Sincerely,

Home
Complaints
Back

Copyright © 2005 a Citizen Run Web Site
Saturday, January 29, 2005